Desktop Guide suggests Gxine for a default video player

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Wed May 2 07:53:19 UTC 2007

ke, 2007-05-02 kello 07:50 +0100, Phil Bull kirjoitti:

> I think that I wrote most of that section. There's still no good DVD
> support in Gstreamer (to my knowledge), so I chose an application using
> a xine backend because its DVD support is relatively painless to get up
> and running.
>
> I chose gxine rather than totem-xine because installing totem-xine
> removes totem-gstreamer, which is useful for other things (especially
> major new features like automatic codec installation).

Do you mean that other applications that use the gstreamer backend rely
on totem-gstreamer for automatic codec installation? This sounds a
little strange, but then again I'm not an expert. Keeping
totem-gstreamer just for the codecs that are only used by itself would
ofcourse be useless :-)

Thanks

Ari Torhamo