improving online documentation

shirish agarwal shirishag75 at gmail.com
Wed May 2 00:07:22 UTC 2007

Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:59:32 +0100 (BST)
> From: "Matthew East" <mdke at ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: improving online documentation
> To: ubuntu-doc at lists.ubuntu.com
>

> On Mon, April 30, 2007 10:37 am, Phil Bull wrote:
> > Hi Matt,
> >
> > On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 10:17 +0100, Matthew East wrote:
> > [...]
> >> We need to distinguish here between two things. The first is using
> >> PhrasesLikeThese in the body of documentation, which is what you're
> >> describing, and which, you're right, is clearly confusing and difficult
> >> read. We should encourage people to use easy to read link text (which
> is
> >> perfectly possible in MoinMoin).
> >>
> >> What Phil mentioned in his original post, and what I was saying is not
> >> significant issue, is the actual URL of the page looking odd. This is
> >> only
> >> problematic (in my opinion) where the PhraseLikeThis carries over to
> the
> >> actual page title (which is fixed in recent Moin versions which add
> >> spaces
> >> between the words). I don't think the actual URL is a big deal.
> >
> > I don't mind the URL being joined up - at least it has some meaning and
> > isn't just a numerical article ID. However, I think that JoinedUpWords
> > shouldn't be shown anywhere that a link is presented in the body of the
> > document, such as the page heading or in links. It's confusing and looks
> > weird.
>
> Right, that's what I was trying to say :)
>
> > Is there any way to break up links by default? I seem to remember a user
> > preference somewhere which could do this, but it would be nice to do it
> > automatically for all users.
>
> I think (without looking into it) that the only way is to write them
> broken up in the first place, which is what we've been trying to
> encourage. So, instead of writing the link as "PageName", you write it as
> "[:PageName:page name]"
>
> Matt
> --
> http://www.mdke.org
> gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

Hi all,
     I may have misunderstood the link "[:PageName:page name]" Is this how
it should appear
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/%5b%3aFsckhowto%3aFsck_howto%5d#preview or
no?
When I look both at the heading as well as the hyperlink at the URI address
it looks bad. Please lemme know the correct way of writing it. Cheers!
--
          Shirish Agarwal
  This work is licensed under the Creative Commons NonCommercial Sampling