contributing to the docs

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Mar 26 09:00:52 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 11:01:15PM +0000, Ronnie Tucker wrote:
> I started by doing a bit of searching to see if some Kubuntu apps that I use
> have pages and quite a few didn't show any results, eg;
> VideoLan (VLC) - not installed by default in Kubuntu
> Gwenview
> Krita
> Kget
> Kaffeine
> None of them had pages, should I add a page for them? Or is that getting a bit
> too picky to add a page for every app??
>

>From what I can tell most apps have pages if they are hard to install,
aren't packaged in the repository or are new and shiny. Generally there
isn't a page for every app because most apps dont fall into those three
categories.

Nothing stopping you creating a page about those applications though if it
supplements the already available documentation.

> Is it common courtesy to ask the last editor of a page before adding something
> to their page?

Nope. You (or the original editor) can and may subscribe to the page and as
such will get email notification at the point anyone edits the page. If they
disagree they may re-edit the page, but the Ubuntu wiki isn't like
Wikipedia, we generally dont get too many edit-wars :)

However, that said I have had people notify me on IRC when they see I have
made a duff edit. If you have a reason to change a page, change it, and add
a comment as you save to say why, so people (and the original author) know
what the rationale was behind it.

> And lastly how do I upload images to go on a page? Like if i create a page for
> Kaffeine, how do I add the screenshots?...

There is a drop down along the top of the page with extra options including
"attachments". Thats where you add images.

> Thanks for reading! Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to edit
> pages and make a mess of the wiki in public!  :D

Heh. :)

Cheers,
Al.