Switching from Windows - large string freeze exception

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 16 07:56:20 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 00:00 +0000, Phil Bull wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 23:20 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 14:39 +0100, Matthew East wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Earlier in the release cycle we decided to include a few chapters from the
> > > above guide in the shipped documentation. I've noticed that the
> > > "migrating" chapter (which we have included) is rather dependent on the
> > > "preparing" chapter (which we haven't included. As a result I'd propose to
> > > include the latter as well.
> >
> > I've also noticed that the "dual boot" chapter which we have been
> > including has a few links to the "installing" chapter too. I think the
> > solution in this case is probably to remove this chapter (people will
> > generally already have their dual booting system installed before seeing
> > the shipped docs), but I haven't thought about it much so any ideas well
> > appreciated!!
>
> The dual-booting stuff was mostly imported from the wiki, so it's
> accessible without Ubuntu being installed anyway (from h.u.c).
>
> I'm just wondering about the case when there's no Internet connection
> and the user wants to set up dual-boot from ubiquity. Is it worth
> shipping the section just for this case? I'd probably say not.

Ideally the set of docs shipped on the live cd would be totally
different to those shipped with an installed system. But at the moment
we don't have the ability to do that (maybe we can think about it for
the next release).

I tend to agree that it's not worth including that section, simply
because Ubiquity is intended to be used without documentation, as far as
I know, and because it has an option to install and dual-boot
automagically, which if I recall correctly is the default one where
ubiquity detects a Windows partition.

So for now, although it would be nice to include some documentation with
Ubiquity, I don't think it's worth including material in the shipped
documentation on that subject.

Matt
--
http://www.mdke.org