Searching the Documentation

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 14 21:02:10 UTC 2007

Hi Phil,

* Phil Bull:
> I thought I'd provide an overview of the current state of searching our
> docs, and suggest some possible improvements for discussion.

Thanks for this careful and helpful review.

{snip}

> SUGGESTED IMPROVEMENTS
>
> Ideally, we would unify the way we search the documentation, rather than
> making users visit a load of different websites and making a load of
> different searches. This would probably be difficult to do in the case
> of the (offline) system documentation, but should be easy enough with
> the others.
>
> Google offer a service called Custom Search Engine [4] which would be
> able to search all of our documentation at once. We could also integrate
> it into the documentation websites and give it Ubuntu branding. There is
> also the possibility of weighting and categorising search results.
>
> Results could be weighted on the basis of which source they come from
> (e.g. 4 for official docs, 3 for community docs, 2 for the forums and 1
> for external docs), although I don't know if this approach would serve
> users the best.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

That's basically a pretty good idea, I think. I'm slightly wary of a
tool that searches resources outside the actual site that the user is
searching from, because I think that it will increase the confusion that
we already see about users not knowing which part of the Ubuntu
ecosystem they are in. I think there are lots of small improvements we
can make to the individual areas - for example, the wiki search could be
improved so that (a) the Title search is removed by default; (b) the