Adhoc Networking

Steve stevepdrake at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 8 22:17:22 UTC 2007

Hello All,

This is my first post to the mailing list and would first like to let
you know that you are doing a great job. I have found the guides and
howtos to be very useful on many occasions. So much in fact that I often
recommend it to users with commonly known problems on the ubuntuforums.

The purpose of this email is to inform you that I have recently created
a page in the WifiDocs section about Adhoc networks. I tried to follow
the same layout as found on other pages in the wiki, though I am new to
this, so expect it to be far from perfect.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Adhoc

According to the wiki guide I added it to the cleanup category for
further work. So if you're interested please take a look, I welcome all
questions and comments, however critical they may be.

As far as technical accuracy goes, I have verified most of the steps
outlined on the page. There are some significant changes in Wi-fi
drivers between Ubuntu releases, so I have based most of it on Feisty
and tried to state where the differences are. I was tempted to split the
sections into release specific information, but decided against it at
the time. Maybe that could be done in the next revision.

As I only have access to Broadcom and Atheros cards I am unable to
provide the same level of detail for other hardware such as Intel or
Ralink cards. The patchy support for Wi-fi in general does not help the
situation, so I have tried to mitigate this by providing for the ideal
scenario first i.e. no hardware problems, everything just works. Then
expanded on specific driver/hardware problems without going into details
of driver installation etc as that should be dealt with elsewhere.

If anyone who has access to the missing devices can help flesh out the
differences I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Steve Drake