Mentoring - linking

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 20:31:40 UTC 2007

Hi Dougie,

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 15:54 +0100, Dougie Richardson wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> I have been going over Phil's ideas for the Internet and Networking
> section. I noticed the use of the following tag:

> I was wondering how this worked. What is ghelp? I looked through the
> style guide to see what the policy is with regard to linking to other
> documents and noted that the section only has "To Do" - so am none the
> wiser especially as you mentioned the use of xref tags earlier.
>
> The reason I ask is that I wanted to expand upon the topic based help by
> getting the user to the correct information quickly by asking a series
> of questions.

A ghelp URL is a link to another document within the help system. The
format of the URL is:

ghelp:articleid#sectionid

For example, ghelp:internet#connect-to-internet links to the "Connecting
to the Internet" topic in internet.xml, and will work whichever document
you put that link in.

AFAIK, the ghelp links only work when the document which is linked to is
installed to a system documentation path, so you can't test the link in
your local SVN checkout.

I assume that ghelp just stands for 'GNOME Help'. In KDE, 'help:' is
used instead.

Thanks,

Phil

--