Applications Section of SFW

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 10:41:51 UTC 2007

Hi Dougie,

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 11:15 +0100, Dougie Richardson wrote:
> Hi Phil
>
> On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 11:11 +0100, Phil Bull wrote:
> > Hi Dougie,
> >
> > The table looks great!
>
> Yeah I was worried about this because there aren't many examples and I
> wondered about it in respect the style guide.

Tables aren't often used. However, you've got it just right, I think.

> > Looking at the list, I just had a thought. What do you think about
> > marking apps which also run on Windows, and having a footnote at the
> > bottom of the table explaining that you can try these apps before you
> > switch?
>
> How does the aspect of using this as a marketing tool work? How are we
> to distribute this?

The Switching from Windows guide is shipped on the installation CD, and
can be accessed from the autostart program which runs under Windows.
It's hidden away at the moment unfortunately, but it's definitely there.

The marketing aspect works in a couple of ways. First, the guide is
there to give people advice on how to switch, and so hopefully 'lowers
the barrier' to installing Ubuntu, hence people feel more confident
about making the switch. Secondly, the guide includes some information
on the benefits of Ubuntu and reassures people that it can do everything
that Windows can. If someone just picked up an installation CD not
knowing anything about Ubuntu, this material should provide them with
the information that they need to get started.

Thanks,

Phil

--
Phil Bull