Using images

Luzius Thöny lucius.antonius at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 16:49:06 UTC 2007

Phil Bull wrote:
> Hi Dougie,
>
> On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 11:18 +0100, Dougie Richardson wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> While going through the Switching section of the Ubuntu system docs,
>> I've noticed there are no images used. I've read through the style guide
>> and the team pages and noted that the only caveat is the use of Windows
>> screenshots in comparison with other systems.
>>
>> I'd like to use images of the installer - after all a picture paints a
>> thousand words, but am aware of the difficulties with multiple
>> languages.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> This is a tricky one. I think that it would be OK to use images, but
> sparingly.
>
> Because of the translation issue, it might be best not to allow the text
> of the document to depend on the image being there if possible. That
> way, locales without an image wouldn't be affected or could just use the
> image for the C locale.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil

* when taking screenshots, please only use default themes  / icons /
panel layouts etc. it should reflect the exact visual appearance of a
fresh install.
* use some kind of visual indication marking it as a screenshot.
unexperienced users have been known to confuse screenshots with the
actual  windows when reading the documentation, which can be quite
frustrating! here's how we did it for xubuntu documentation:
https://docteam.ubuntu.com/repos/trunk/xubuntu/images/C/thunar.png

~luzi