The TOC for Server Guide

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 18 08:33:00 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 08:39 +0530, Bhuvaneswaran wrote:
> On 1/18/07, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Well, I don't think it's that simple, but I don't think I explained it
> > very well. At the moment, the Windows Networking chapter covers Samba,
> > but that explanation contains detailed material on things like LDAP
> > which on your wiki page structure is shown as belonging in a separate
> > chapter ("Network Authentication"). Splitting these up will require a
> > rewrite of the Samba section. I think it would be easier to retain a
> > separate section entitled "Windows Networking". What do you think is the
> > *proper* approach?
>
> Yeah, "Windows Networking" chapter contains detailed material about
> LDAP and Kerbeos based authentication for Samba. But looking into the
> material it looks like of more theory than a configuration material.
> Yeah, they also contain a snippet of configuration steps for Samba.
>
> So, we can still retain "Network Authentication" as a separate chapter and
> considering the time and resource we have, I think, its good to
> include "Windows Networking"  chapter as it is now.

If we can cut out the Network Authentication information and include it
as a separate chapter, I think it makes sense to go with your original
suggestion and include the Samba section into the File Server section.

But have a look at the text and see what you think. Currently the
material in the windows-network.xml file isn't included in the
serverguide, so go ahead and include it in whichever way you think is
best.

Matt
--
http://www.mdke.org