Screencasting ideas, input required

Kenneth Nielsen k.nielsen81 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 23:10:13 UTC 2007

> > Second, I was wondering, how about using file-sharing protocols to
> > distribute some of them. It could just be an extra offer besides some
> > of the ones you have already mentioned and it would help keeping
> > server/bandwidth costs down. Obviously the beginner ones need to be
> > available for direct download in some way, but there's no reason that
> > you couldn't distribute all the advanced ones as torrents etc. Hell,
> > there might even be a beginners screencast available for direct
> > download that explains how to download screencasts as torrents ;)
> >

> A good idea. Of course the license means that anyone could do this :)

If someone with knowledge of bittorrent (I only know it as a user, not
> as a publisher) then maybe we could make torrents of the files.
>
> In fact some podcast clients support torrent don't they? So we could
> make the enclosure in the RSS feed a link to a .torrent file (we host)
> and off they go. I guess we would need to have at least one seed running
> of each file all the time.

That sound great. I didn't know that was possible. Actually one of the other
ideas I had on the subject is that if torrents were made, then it could be
made standard that once per Ubuntu release all of the torrents were gathered
in a tarball. So if people have an Internet connection without limitation on
the traffic, that could be a real easy way to contribute, just down all the
screencasts and keep sharing them. I know that some of the bigger clients
have support for loading multiple torrents at once (I know quite a few
people that contribute in that manner, just right now it's the Ubuntu iso
images they share instead, but there's no reason the screencast project
can't borrow a few of those people)

I don't think it is that difficult making the torrents, but I'm involved in
enough OSS project as it is, so I hope someone else will pick it up.

> About this whole Ipod thing. Sure It would be nice if these
> > screencasts were available in any and all formats and sizes that
> > people wish for. However, some of them does loose the value when you
> > can't read the text on the screen. I don't think you can go much below
> > 1024x768 if it's supposed to be readable.
>
> Depends really. I try to explain everything (although don't always
> succeed) so that you could get most of what I am talking about via the
> audio only version. In which case having the video would make the audio
> versions even better!

Right you are. I think you explain it quite well and so yes it would be
useful even if the text isn't readable.

( I am a 'glass half full' kinda guy ).

Great, those are the best ones ;)