Screencasting ideas, input required

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Jan 17 17:07:18 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 16:18 +0100, Kenneth Nielsen wrote:
> Hey Alan
> First of all, nice job !!!

Thanks! :)

> Second, I was wondering, how about using file-sharing protocols to
> distribute some of them. It could just be an extra offer besides some
> of the ones you have already mentioned and it would help keeping
> server/bandwidth costs down. Obviously the beginner ones need to be
> available for direct download in some way, but there's no reason that
> you couldn't distribute all the advanced ones as torrents etc. Hell,
> there might even be a beginners screencast available for direct
> download that explains how to download screencasts as torrents ;)

A good idea. Of course the license means that anyone could do this :)

If someone with knowledge of bittorrent (I only know it as a user, not
as a publisher) then maybe we could make torrents of the files.

In fact some podcast clients support torrent don't they? So we could
make the enclosure in the RSS feed a link to a .torrent file (we host)
and off they go. I guess we would need to have at least one seed running
of each file all the time.

Certainly one to add to the list of potential distribution methods,
thanks, I'd not even considered it!

> About this whole Ipod thing. Sure It would be nice if these
> screencasts were available in any and all formats and sizes that
> people wish for. However, some of them does loose the value when you
> can't read the text on the screen. I don't think you can go much below
> 1024x768 if it's supposed to be readable.

Depends really. I try to explain everything (although don't always
succeed) so that you could get most of what I am talking about via the
audio only version. In which case having the video would make the audio
versions even better!

( I am a 'glass half full' kinda guy ).

See for yourself. I followed the instructions on the wiki [0] page to
create a .mov which *should* be iPod compatible. I have access to an
iPod video, but I don't have the means to get the video onto it. I
currently use Rhythmbox to put music onto it but I note the wiki [1]
suggests using gtkpod which I have installed but never had much luck
with. I will try again later.

If you want to see the result on a desktop or iPod take a look at the
[2] "Installing Ubuntu with Windows Dual-Boot" page and you will see a
link to the .mov I created. It's 320x240. The [0] video encoding page
indicates another method (H264) which may or may not work on all iPods.
Will try that later too.

Feedback welcome.

Cheers,
Al.