layout change for help center

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Wed Feb 28 22:25:59 UTC 2007

[sent back to the list]

On Mar 1, 2007, at 7:08 AM, hv1989 wrote:
> I appreciate your comments, although one of them isn't correct. You
> are saying my version takes more place than the old one. That isn't
> correct. The old side bar is 15px bigger than the one of me.

But the window would be more compact if we didn't have a sidebar at
all. This is already true when reading man pages, for example. If the
search field was put in the sidebar as you have done it, either the
sidebar would need to be visible all the time, or the search wouldn't
be available while you were reading a page that didn't have a table of
contents.

> Also I think there's a difference, between changing the layout of the
> article and changing the layout of the application. What I mean is I'm
> busy with how the application look like. Not the layout of the content
> of yelp. And for the moment is the layout of the whole application
> more importent than the layout of the content. So if I get this
> realised I while definitly help with spacing the lists.

Ah, if you want to change yelp itself, I have some suggestions there
too. :-) I think it would be an improvement if the toolbar was always
icons-only (so that the window is more compact), the "Search" field was
aligned with the right end of the toolbar, and the search field shrank
rather than disappearing when the window became narrower.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/