DocBook and introduction

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 13:51:57 UTC 2007

Hi Emma,

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 21:01 -0500, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> I noticed a hole at:
> http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/styleguide/en/styleguide-docbook-style.html
>
> for which I may be able to provide some filler from:
> http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/using-docbook.html
>
> The original document was written in DocBook XML and is available
> through the GNU Free Documentation License. I am happy to notify the LDP
> discuss mailing list to let them know about the document's re-use if its
> contents are of use to Ubuntu.

Thanks for your offer. I'm unsure of the status of the style guide at
the moment; it seems to have been neglected for quite a while, but it
definitely needs finishing. The document you linked to would fit
perfectly in the "DocBook Conventions" section I think, but it might be
better just to link to the document from the Ubuntu style guide rather
than reproduce it in full, for ease of maintenance. Of course, then the
style guide wouldn't form a self-contained document, but I doubt anyone
would actually use it as such anyway...

> And also an introduction. Hello! My name is Emma. I go by "emmajane" in
> virtually all on-line forums/IRC. The list of what I do is long but not
> limited to: developing on-line communities with the Drupal CMS package;
> writing technical documentation and training newbs; making crafty things
> (I quilt and knit and crochet and ...); organizing IT conferences; and
> drinking Scotch. I do all of these things as a consultant and as a
> volunteer from my home office in Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada (which is
> about 2.5 hours north of Toronto, Canada). Google will also reveal many
> other random bits of information about me. Some of it is even true!
>
> Additional interests include making a stripped down, teen-friendlier
> version of Linux documentation. My local LUG has been recycling old
> hardware and giving it to families in need as identified by a local
> charitable organization. For this project we're using Ubuntu 6.06 LTS.
> There have been a few docs we've shipped out with the machines but all
> of them have additional layers of fluff that aren't relevant to our
> users (and with not nearly enough graphical interest to make them worth
> reading at the age of 14).

Do you have a link to this documentation? I'd be very interested in
taking a look at it.

> I am happy to help out with other documentation as needed. Personally, I
> use Ubuntu as my primary (and only) desktop environment. As a result I'm
> most familiar with general desktop applications, although I've retained
> a fair amount of CLUE-friendliness from my Debian days. If there are
> known gaps I'm happy to take a look.

That would be great, thanks! Is there anything in particular that you'd
be interested in working on?

Thanks,

Phil

--