xubuntu - office patch

George Lesica glesica at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 15:43:15 UTC 2007

Thanks for the comments, I'll make those changes tonight (it's 11am here :)
)

Abiword can handle MS Word, so that's fine but I'll change the order of
things and clarify the OOo stuff definitely.  If I have time I was thinking
of adding sections on abiword, gnumeric and maybe inkscape, sort of like the
section for gnucash.  gimp is pretty well documented on its own i think.

Anway, I'll send another patch this evening.

Thanks,
George

On 8/30/07, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi George,
>
> On 8/30/07, George Lesica <glesica at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I changed around the office document quite a bit.  I moved the focus
> > slightly, from OOo to GNOME Office.  I didn't remove any info about OOo,
> > just added more about GO and changed the ordering of some things, etc.
> >
> > Let me know if I should change anything.
> >
> > -George
>

> Thanks for putting this together.  You may want to do a quick re-review
> the default installed applications for Xubuntu.  Inkscape and Gnucash, among
> others, aren't installed by default in Xubuntu.  Abiword, Gnumeric, and the
> Gimp are installed by default, though.
>
> As for saving files in other formats, I know that Gnumeric can manipulate
> .xls files from Microsoft Excel, but I am not sure if Abiword can handle
> .doc files from MS Word.
>
> I think it's fine to reference OpenOffice.org software, as many people
> will likely install that software if their computers are relatively
> powerful, but you should mention that they would need to be installed
> separately, as you do for Gnucash.  Also, I think that all of the references
> to installed-by-default software should be placed ahead of the references to
> alternative office software that a user would have to install by him or
> herself.
>
> Let me know what you think.  Thanks again, George!!
>
> Jim

~ George T. Lesica
glesica at gmail.com