Ubuntu Improvement

Dax Solomon Umaming knightlust at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 29 13:31:34 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 06:07:11 Tony D'Alessandro wrote:

This is obviously off-topic and should've been sent to the general list, but
I'd still like to comment on this.

> To make an improvement so it is appreciated by the general PC user.  It
> MUST be friendly and easy to use when installing programs from : the
> Internet, Hardrive, CD, DVD, and the Floppy Disk.... How about a program
> which will do all the scripting automatically for installing any software.

Isn't Synaptic good enough? I mean, I prefer installing programs this way.
Besides, when compared to installing application in Windows and Ubuntu, I
have to Google for a program. Then download it. Then check for malwares. And
finally, 3 to 6 clicks (sometimes more depending on the application) after
accepting the EULA before it gets installed. And if it's a firewall or
anti-virus, it'll require me to reboot before I can use it.

How about Synaptic....
1) K Menu > System > Synaptic
2) Enter Password
3) Choose Application
4) Apply
And the program gets installed automatically, without EULA's, without -ever-
worrying about malwares.

What you may be talking about here is an application not yet in the
repository. And I hope you're aware that your favorite Windows programs won't
install on Linux. But our MOTUs are working real hard getting an Open Source
alternative in the repository. If it's not there, file a wishlist bug, and
someone will act on it.

Installing applications from the HardDrive, CD, Floppy? Very very few people
need it. And if we do, there's always AptonCD that'll do the work for us.
This way, we can just sit back and relax while waiting for Synaptic to
finish.

Scripting? We don't need it. Synaptic is better.

> Presently one has to use code most of the time. The general public is
> turned off by this and find Windows is much easier to use because no codes
> are required.

I'm not a programmer. I've been using Linux for more than 7 years. I've been
using Kubuntu for a year. And Kubuntu hasn't forced me to code anything.
Really dude, I haven't touched any code and yet I'm happy with it. My mom and
dad's happy with Kubuntu, my sister and brother uses Ubuntu, and my
grandmother and my 3 year old daughter uses Xubuntu. We're not programmers,
and the rest of my family (you could say) aren't really good with computers,
and yet, we're all using it. And not one of them has ever touched a code in
their entire life.

> Hope someone will look into this I think it would go a long way in
> improving Linux. If you have any questions let me know.
>
> 		Thank you,
>

> 		Tony D'Alessandro
> 		22 Eli Shackelton Court
> 		Toronto, Ontario
> 		Canada
> 		M1E 5K3

Tony, it's very obvious that you haven't tried out Ubuntu or Kubuntu. It's
also dead obvious that your comments here are based on websites you've read.
And it's very obvious that you gave out an opinion based on assumptions.

Please accept this as an invitation to try out Ubuntu. Go download the ISO or
better yet, order 5 CDs. Keep the first one for yourself and give out the
rest to family and friends. I'm sure they'll love it.

https://shipit.ubuntu.com
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

--
Dax Solomon Umaming