Ubuntu Documentation / Bzr

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Sat Aug 18 19:32:12 UTC 2007

On 8/18/07, Matthew East <matt at mdke.org> wrote:
<snip>

> Thoughts?

The speed issue is always, well ... an issue. When we were first
talking about using bzr I suggested one thing we could do to help was
to have like a weekly cron job on doc.ubuntu.com that did a bzr branch
then tarballed it and put it in webspace. People with limited
bandwidth (i.e. dialup) could at least get the weekly tarball, unpack
it, and then bzr pull to get to the latest revision. Bzr repos are
very portable that way. Launchpad also has the smart server stuff now
so pushes are supposed to be a lot faster via bzr+ssh://

Bzr can also be run very similar svn with lightweight checkouts.

I for one, like to commit locally as I'm going along. With the
Packaging Guide I'll often write one commit's worth of material over a
couple days. It's nice when I can commit my changes on a smaller basis
locally and then when I'm done and make sure everything validates
commit them to the remote branch.

-Jordan