Joining the team

Kyle Williams kylewilliams at openwarriors.org
Mon Aug 13 22:01:10 UTC 2007

Hi Richard

On Monday 13 August 2007 23:20:16 Richard A. Johnson wrote:
> | A bit of background information about me,
> | I'm a 2nd year Business Science student at the University of Cape Town,
> | set to major and do honours levels in either computer science or
> | statistics (or maybe both!).
>
> Business major myself doing a dual major right now with comp sci as well.
> Cool man!

As a business major I recommend that you read Open Life[1] by Henrik Ingo and
Capitalism 3.0 by Peter Barnes if you haven't already. Gives you a real
perspective of an open way of conducting business. Both of them are available
under CC licenses of course :)

> Well, Kubuntu is my cup o' tea, so I know we can definitely use your help.
> As it stands, there are 3 of us working on-and-off on the Kubuntu
> documentation for about a year and a half now. So we can definitely use
> you.

Great!

> | I don't have much experience when it comes to writing technical
> | documentation nor have I worked with DocBook/XML before. However I'm
> | handy with a pen so to speak, and am more than willing to learn.
>
> As long as you can read and write English, look over our current
> documentation, you can start to write somewhat technically rather quickly.
> Any type of writing style will work of course, as myself (nixternal),
> Jonathan Jesse (jjesse), and Venkat Raghavan (robotgeek) can always help
> you out with it, and convert it and use it when time permits of course.
> Jonathan and Venkat both have lives, I don't, so I am always working on
> Kubuntu :)

Ha! Well my life involves studying, teaching music and performing. As a result
my time is limited, but whenever I have free time I'd like to put it to use
helping Kubuntu.
I'll have a look at the current documentation to try and get a feel for the
style used in writing documentation

> If you get a chance to get on IRC at all, check out #ubuntu-doc on
> chat.freenode.net and we can see what you can start working on to get up to
> speed. Like I said, it is fairly easy work, but it can be time consuming
> and tedious at times. Thanks for contacting the list and we look forward to
> working with you! Welcome!

I'm sure the work is time consuming and tedious, but no doubt also extremely
rewarding...there's no better feeling than helping someone else, regardless
of how you do it

Lastly, thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to working with you and
the rest of the team!

Kyle

[1]http://openlife.cc
[2]http://capitalism3.com

--
Kyle Williams
kylewilliams (at) openwarriors (dot) org
Jabber: kylewilliams at jabber.obsidian.co.za
In a world without walls who needs Windows?