Major changes to internet.xml and files-and-docs.xml

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 6 19:26:45 UTC 2007

* Phil Bull:
> Hi Dougie,
>
> I don't think that there's been too much discussion about the structure
> of the connecting docs recently. I was thinking of something like this:
>
> Connecting to the Internet
> 	Step-by-step guide
> 	Identifying Internet connection type
> 	Connecting to a wireless network
> 		Creating a connection
> 		Wireless security options
> 		Using Windows wireless drivers
> 		Troubleshooting wireless connections
> 	Connecting to a wired network
> 	Connecting with an ADSL modem
> 		Creating a PPPoE connection
> 		Connecting with a USB modem
> 	Connecting with a dial-up modem
> 		Creating a connection
> 		Chipset-specific connection information
> 	Managing connections
> 		Reconnecting to a network
> 		Disabling a connection
> 	Common connection problems

Try to avoid repeating the use of the word "Connecting" in sub-headings
to a section already called "Connecting to the internet". It's also more
effective to read if you use the most important word (Wireless, ADSL
Modem, Dialup etc) at the beginning of the title.

Also, the "Step by Step Guide" is a bit confusing as a title alongside
the others.

Otherwise, it seems perfectly well thought out.

Matt
--
http://www.mdke.org