Unreadable Russian Desktop Guides

Roustam Ghizdatov roustam at pervouralsk.ru
Thu Sep 21 13:59:54 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,

At https://help.ubuntu.com/ there are links to various guides. On
Russian version of this page one, among other things, can choose to see
pdf's of the Ubuntu and Kubuntu Desktop Guides in Russian. The idea is
great, but these documents were and are not readable because of #'s
instead of all cyrillic letters. Members of the Russian translation team
applied to Matthew East a couple of months ago, but the issue has not
been resolved as yet.

I would like to raise the question in this mailing list with a view to
settle the issue after all. Importance of such documents cannot be
exaggerated. They are the first source of information for beginners and
those thinking about switching to Ubuntu. Deficit of information might
discourage many talented people from joining the community, which is bad
for all of us. Of course, there are several other ways to get help, but
let's make this option available to people who prefer to learn things
from books and documentation. Let's be human to others.

We are one step from official release of the Edgy Eft. We should make it
better.

The bug has been recently reported:
- https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/61445
- https://launchpad.net/products/ubuntu-doc/+bug/61631