Question about <ulink url="&wiki-filepermissions; "> (and similar)

Micah J. Cowan micah at cowan.name
Wed Sep 13 18:21:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 07:52:51PM +0200, Milo Casagrande wrote:
> Hello to all!
> I've another question reguarding the use of variables inside the
> desktopguide.
> I've seen the global.ent file and this variable is defined inside it.
> What I would like to know is: if I substitute the
> "&wiki-[whateverepage]" with the link of a page (like
> http://wiki.ubuntu-it.org/PermessiFile for "&wiki-filepermissions"), is
> going to happen something wrong?
> We (as Italian team) have many pages similar to those of the english
> wiki, so it would be nice to link to those pages in the translated
> version of the guide.

I have nothing to do (yet, anyway) and no real knowledge of Ubuntu
documentation... but I do know something about DocBook and XML/SGML.

I note that (for example) the en_GB version of the desktopguide
overwrites that entity with it's own value (which happens to be the
same). In fact, though the en version defines an entity reference for
global.ent, it never /uses/ it, so those values are never included.

If, instead of changing each occurance of &wiki-[whateverpage] to a
specific URI, you change/add an entity declaration for wiki-whateverpage
to be defined as that URI, then you only have to change it in one place.
Even if, right now, there's only one reference to it; in the future you
may have twenty references, and then decide to change what the proper
URI should be. By always using entity references, you only have to
change it once to change all references to it.

--
Hope that helps,

Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/