Problems with GNU FDL and the GNOME Documentation Project

Yavor Doganov yavor at doganov.org
Sat Sep 9 20:37:41 UTC 2006

Instead of wasting your time and spoiling your day by having a (from
your point of view, apparently unpleasant) conversation with me, let's
do the right thing: address your real concerns as fearless leader of
the GNOME Documentation Project to the people who can solve them or
can help solving them.

I'm replying only to the first two paragraphs which appear to be
directly related to me, for the other points there are much more
knowledgable people that I hope will respond.

Shaun McCance wrote:

> Let me make a few things perfectly clear:
>
> * This has nothing to do with Debian.  In fact, I was
>   voicing concerns about the FDL well before people at
>   Debian were.  You have no sense of history in this
>   conversation.

I know this from previous discussions.  I was addressing the content
on the wiki page that Joachim posted.  It starts with Debian, so I
started with Debian in my reply.

> * You stated "some insignificiant part of the Free
>   Software community hates GFDL".  I don't like the
>   GFDL, and neither do many members of my team.  WE
>   ARE NOT INSIGNIFICANT.  Insult my team again and
>   you will be banned from this list.

I never insulted your team nor anyone else.  The GNU FDL is used in
most of the GNU packages and major projects such as GNOME and KDE, and
many others.  This is the reason why I said "insignificiant", I never
meant that the GDP is insignificiant, on the contrary -- if you reread
what I posted, you'll discover that I said that it's very important
and deserves FSF's attention.