Introduction

t u towsonu2003 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 04:31:35 UTC 2006

Matthew Copple wrote:
> I can write, however. I spent the last 18 months writing a paper a week to
> complete my bachelor's degree (ten years after I started it!), so my writing
> skills are about as sharp as they will ever be. In one of my several previous
> careers, I wrote quite a bit of training documentation using docbook-sgml and
> its toolchain, so I have exposure to both technical writing and the vagaries
> of Docbook.
>
> If you have something that needs to be worked on, I'll be happy to tackle it.
> Should I just pick something interesting from the svn repo and start writing
> on it, or are there specific priorities that an experienced Linux user, but
> rather new Linux technical writer, might get started on?

Hi,

Great to hear that you'll be contributing.

If others in this list won't disagree, I personally would like to ask
for your help.

In this bug (
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+bug/42454 ), I
was trying to take the information on the wiki page on dial up and put
it in our offline documentation. I attached three files there. The third
one "ModemDocumentation.xml" (called "documentation in xml, probably a
very bad one") is the one I would love to see in our offline doc. The
first and second files, I had to attach them because I had no idea what
I was doing with the xml file :) You see, I know how to write, but I
don't know how to write in docbook :(

It would be really, really nice if you could clean that file up and
attach to the bug so someone can check it out and decide whether it can
go to Feisty (the Edgy+1 release). Believe me, you will be doing the
real work (that I couldn't do)...

I would appreciate others to send any links about how to write offline
Ubuntu documentation, because I couldn't find any that could be of help
to you (and I don't know myself either).

The links I could find that my be of interest just for this:
* https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/DocbookTags (dunno what they
mean)
* http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/styleguide/en/index.html (style guide, I
don't think you will need it just to clean up my stupid mess)

Thanks :) and, of course, Welcome!

PS. If you don't like the idea to clean a (very very) messy xml file (I
definitely wouldn't), there is some nice information on how to
contribute at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam
- --
Please scan all attachments for viruses.
Or (though you might like Rodin) you might as well avoid "The Gates of
Hell" and use Linux.