Error in documentation for restricted formats / Playing encrypted DVDs?

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Sat Oct 14 16:58:15 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm running Edgy beta and just got totem-xine installed. It took me a
while to download libdvdcss2 to play DVDs, because the instruction given
in "RestrictedFormats/Playing encrypted DVDs"

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats#w32codecs

doesn't quite match my file system. The instruction tells one to do

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh

,but there's no "examples" directory under libdvdread3 in my file
system. There the correct path to install-css.sh is

/usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

I'd like to hear from those here who are using Dapper, if the path in
question is the same in Dapper as it is in my system. In that case I
guess the docs should be corrected.

I just took a look at the onboard docs in Edgy, and there the
instruction seems to match my system. Maybe the path indeed has been
changed to Edgy and everything is OK. I just got worried and wanted to
check.

You will have to have libdvdread3 installed to see which way it is.

Regards,

Ari Torhamo