Screencasting

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sun Nov 19 10:59:27 UTC 2006

Hi,

Matthew suggested [0] that I bring a discussion we have been having on the ubuntu-uk LoCo team mailing
list here.

We (Ubuntu-UK) had a meeting at LinuxWorld Expo last month where we tried to figure out our focus and
direction. What could we do to benefit the community. Various things were suggested but screencasting
seemed to be quite a popular one. For those that don't know screencasting is a method of recording the
contents of a desktop usually for training or demo purposes. The videos can be made available in MPEG, OGG,
flash or whatever format either downloadable, streamable or on a CD/DVD.

We started by creating a few which I've "hosted" at a personal domain of mine [1]. I have
licenced all existing screencasts under an open Creative Commons licence to make them freely distributable.
I have uploaded them all to archive.org as they provide free hosting for community based video. I also
uploaded to google video because despite flash being evil and the videos being hard to make out at low
resolutions they're surprisingly watchable. They can even be viewed on portable media devices like ipods.

Personally I have been working on this myself for a few months and have come up with some of my own
guidelines and rules for the screencasts I create. Some people may have issue with some of the
decisions I made (like recording full screen at 1024x768 rather than just regions of the screen, or that I
create the audio separately from the video) and I'd obviously appreciate input in that regard. If you check
the faq [2] then you'll see the full detail of how I've created them and the decisions I made. Also on my
wiki [3] you can see the list of screencasts I'd planned to make and some detail about what is going to go
in them.

Now I have only created them in English as that's my local language. So translation/dubbing will of
course be needed. Difficult when the GUI shows English text, so re-recording my be necessary.
This is an issue given how long it takes to make these screencasts and get them "right".

Whilst I acknowledge that there are already numerous screencasts online, I found the quality not high
enough that I would consider giving them to friends/family/customers. So that's why I started making my
own.

Comments and questions about how we can open this up to the wider community are of course welcome. If this
could become an "official" project that would of course be great. If it stays a community effort that's
also cool.

Cheers,
Al.

[0] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-uk/2006-November/002046.html