RFC: TopicBasedHelp specification

Andreas Lloyd lloydinho at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 23:42:29 UTC 2006

Richard Johnson wrote:
> On Friday 10 November 2006 14:53, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
>
>>> Then please do whatever you can to get KDE using a topic-based help
>>> system sometime in the next six months as well. It's a better approach
>>> regardless of the environment you're using.
>>>
>> Wow what a comment.  Please turn the ship of KDE documentation.  How do
>> you think they will react to this suggestion by someone who doesn't
>> contribute any documentation upstream (yet)?  This is not a very serious
>> approach to take.

Basically, what MPT says is: Get in touch with the KDE doc team and hear
about the possibilities for topic-based help. As it is with the GNOME
upstream, nothing is decided yet, since MPT has yet to get in touch with
them about it, and they haven't made apparent progress for a while.

Nothing is settled yet. This spec is just meant to show the general
lines along which we would like to move the Ubuntu documentation for the
Feisty release. We can keep the documentation in DocBook for now and
work towards editing the desktop guides into topic-based pages as the
spec suggest, and if the GNOME upstream brings something usable to the
table, we can adopt that.

So the focus of this discussion should be: Topic-based help: How should
we do it? Do you have comments to the suggestions laid out in the
specification? Are there concerns in making the Desktop guides
topic-based that we have overseen - especially in relation to
K|Ed|Xubuntu documentation - and how can we address them?

Cheers,

Andreas

--
https://launchpad.net/people/lloydinho