Oops, re aptitude : was [Re: Edgy in the news]

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Wed Nov 1 19:55:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 20:40 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> This sub thread is about how we convey the reliability of a particular
> document to the user. The community wiki is not always reliable,
> because
> anyone can edit it, and the documentation team or developers haven't
> always reviewed the material.

This is a very valid point. Not only wiki/help documents, but
ubuntu-users is an even worse state. Newbies are lead into hosing their
systems all the time. I have tried to correct erroneous upgrade info on
-users for a while but have given up soon because it is just too much. I
believe there needs to be a dedicated task force monitoring -users that
is ready to jump in and correct harmful info (people STILL recommend
Automatix!) I would think that the correct info will spread and the need
for this will diminish over time.

> For the record, upgrade instructions are contained in the release
> notes,
> which are reviewed by the developers before the release:
>
>         http://www.ubuntu.com/download/releasenotes/610

Thanks, this was pointed out to me by someone else in an off-list email.
I have just now redirected parts of this email and my response to the
lists (sounder and -doc), I discuss some more points there that I don't
want to redundantly repeat here