book content in dapper

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at iserv.net
Mon May 8 12:37:37 UTC 2006

> On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 16:35 +0800, Jerome Gotangco wrote:
>> On 5/8/06, Jane Silber <jane.silber at canonical.com> wrote:
>> > I'm not sure where/how it is best to include this material.  It should
>> > be some place relatively discoverable (in a menu? in ExampleContent?
>> > both?)  Matt Zimmerman has asked if you all can suggest a way to do
>> this
>> > and include a placeholder now so that we can drop in the final content
>> > as soon as we get it.
>>
>> I would suggest to have it linked from both the firefox startpage (on
>> the upper right corner as link box or something that yells "this are
>> some chapters from the official book") and Yelp frontpage itself,
>> although the Yelp frontpage is already crowded. From  Kubuntu, I don't
>> see this as an issue in KHelpCenter since it can be easily created as
>> a node and the document tree is always visible.
>
> The difficulty with including this content in the ordinary way (in Yelp)
> is that it really comprehensively overlaps with material that already
> exists. We're going to cause a lot of confusion if we include this
> material in that way because:
>
>  (a) we have done a lot of work to try and promote the desktop and
> server guides in the yelp table of contents and ensure that the user is
> not confused by all the overlaps that already exist between our
> documentation and the Gnome documentation.
>  (b) the existing documentation is translated, whereas this wouldn't be.
>
> The same problems arise with linking it from the firefox home page, and
> including it in the System/Help menu. I think that the same problems
> also arise for Kubuntu.
>
> (By the way, and of course speaking merely personally, it is quite
> discouraging to have put in loads of work on the Desktop Guide (not to
> mention trying to ensure that our guides don't overlap, and that
> everything is translated) over this release and then find that
> untranslated material written outside the group with basically the same
> scope is going to be included as well).
>
> I suppose that including it in example-content would be an option. The
> best option from my point of view would be to not include it at all, and
> ensure that the material can be integrated with our existing guides for
> Edgy. That way, it will get translated, we can eliminate the overlaps,
> and the documentation team doesn't get a kick in the teeth.
>
> my 2 cents.
>
> Matt
> --
> mdke at ubuntu.com
> gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

Matt,

As an author of the Kubuntu chapter I agree that there was a lot of work
done to make the desktop guide great for Kubuntu.  I was not aware the
book or my chapter would ship with Dapper.
I think the only benifit is screenshots that are not included in the
Desktop Guide at least in the Kubuntu Desktop Guide.  This seems to be a
last minute decision that hsould have included the doc team (and maybe as
an author I should have known more ahead of time) as we now have to
scramble.

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Jesse