proposed spin-off of wiki team

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 23 14:41:41 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 09:30 -0500, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> On Thursday 23 March 2006 09:08, Matthew East wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 07:47 -0500, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> > > As stated in an earlier post to the list, I think it is time for the wiki
> > > team to be some how spun off into its own group.  The wiki is not getting
> > > the focus it needs and maybe it is time for a gruop of peple who head up
> > > the wiki team to start having regular wiki meetings and move forward with
> > > increasing activity there.
> > >
> > > It could perhas be a subpart of the doc group but it needs to be
> > > advertised more, maybe having a ubuntu-wiki mailing group and have group
> > > meetings in #ubuntu-meeting
> >
> > My initial reaction is that a separate mailing list is a bad idea, for
> > the quite simple reason that the wiki has lots of great documentation on
> > it, and it would be a bad idea if the people dealing with the non-wiki
> > docs lost sight of that. For example, recently when Brian Shumate was
> > posting those awesome guides on the wiki and announcing them on the
> > mailing list, that material was great to know about so that it can be
> > used and linked to from our docs.
> >
> > In the context of the initiatives to bring the wiki and other docs
> > closer, I think separating the mailing lists would be a bad idea, and
> > wouldn't have any significant advantages.
> >
> > I think the current balance is about right.
> >
> > Matt
>
> Matt,
>
> How would you then propose solving the fact that a lot of initiatives to work
> on the wiki start and then fail?  Maybe we need to have wiki only meetings?
> Is there someone "in charge" of the wiki team that could drive these
> initiatives?  Is there a list of initiatives?

I don't see initiatives failing at all. Naaman recently drove forward an
initiative to rework the documentation index, which was implemented
nicely. I don't know what other initiatives you are referring to.

Sure, the wiki needs plenty of attention, and maybe even greater
exposure. But I don't think splitting off a team is the way to do that.
It's all documentation, and losing sight of that would be a bad idea, in
my opinion.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com