Preference for CLI commands in the manuals and wiki

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 21 11:07:01 UTC 2006

This is a proper subject for the Documentation mailing list.
Cross-posting.

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 17:36 +0700, Chanchao wrote:
> For a lot of the manuals, online help and wiki articles I note a
> tendency to use terminal commands and text-editor changes to config
> files, even when perfectly good Gnome based graphical tools exist to do
> the same thing.

Our policy in the documentation team is that graphical tools should be
used whereever possible. I hope you'll find this reflected in the dapper
version of the Desktop Guide.

Occasionally however, we point out both ways of doing things, in case
people prefer dropping to the command line. This is very much the
exception though.

A further exception is the Server Guide, where a command line approach
is adopted because it is assumed that readers of that guide may use any
desktop environment, or none at all.

A similar approach is taken on the wiki. However, the wiki documentation
is community maintained, and there is so much material that it is
impossible to ensure that this approach is adopted by all the guides.
Please feel free to weigh in and correct any such failings where they
appear.

Any doubts, ask on the doc list.

thanks, Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com