Personal Pronouns

Rocco Stanzione grasshopper at linuxkungfu.org
Thu Mar 9 07:04:35 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 20:23, Joseph Method wrote:
> It's not _totally_ ridiculous. "If a doctor has cured many patients,
> he will make more money," leads ineluctably to "So I was talking to my
> doctor today." "Yes, what did he say?"
>
> But, yeah. The true gender-neutral pronoun is "one",  not "they", only
> the English ear can't stand it for very long. I think the general
> correct convention is to alternate appropriately, by section or
> example. So don't be inconsistent within the same example.
>
> He/she is clunky and artificial.
>
> Alternatively, you could create two user characters, Larry and Ming :).

> -J. Method

Or worse, "Man is a mammal.  He births live young and suckles them at his
breasts."  There really seems to be no ideal solution.  "He" has some obvious
problems, but I still prefer it.  These days, "she" seems to have fewer
problems, and I'm OK with it.  "They" is now acceptable, according to many
authorities on the subject, but by God no style guide or newfangled
grammatical reference is going to make me write it.  "He/she" is terrible.
"He or she" I think solves most of the technical problems but gets tiresome
to read if used more than about once per page.

The actual Chicago Manual of Style is I guess unavailable online, but I did
find this at chicagomanualofstyle.org:

----
Q. I would swear that I saw a reference in your manual that approved of the
use of "their" instead of a gender-biased singular pronoun. For example, "If
the user has completed installing the program, they should put the CD-ROM
back in the package," instead of "If the user has completed installing the
program, s/he should put the CD-ROM back in the package," but on your Q&A,
you dance around the answer to the question and suggest that you do NOT
approve of the singular "their." Can you tell us what is acceptable?

A. Yes, you saw it at 2.98 (note 9) in the fourteenth edition, but there was
some regret at having written it, and we decided not to second the idea in
the fifteenth edition. Though some writers are comfortable with the
occasional use of they as a singular pronoun, some are not, and it is better
to do the necessary work to recast a sentence or, other options having been
exhausted, use he or she. For a fuller discussion of this issue, see
paragraphs 5.43 and 5.202-6 in CMS 15, including the entry for "he or she"
under the "Glossary of Troublesome Expressions" at paragraph 5.202.
----

So even the venerable CMS seems to have trouble delivering a straight answer
on the matter.  There already seems to be disagreement among our group, which
is no surprise.  My only steadfast position is that I refuse to use the
"singular they" solution.  If that's what ends up in the style guide, I will
grit my teeth and refrain from correcting that usage, and in my own material
I will rewrite entire paragraphs to avoid using it without violating the
styleguide.  If we don't come to a consensus, and I'm beginning to doubt that
we will, maybe we should leave the whole matter alone and let the individual
author handle the matter as she sees fit ;)

Rocco Stanzione