SwitchingFromWindows Guide

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Tue Jun 20 10:51:45 UTC 2006

On Jun 20, 2006, at 5:20 AM, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> We talked in the Doc Team on Friday about some of the documents that I
> have proposed for Kubuntu (https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuDocs/Edgy)
> and one of the documents I mentioned was a Switching From Windows
> guide.
> We also started a wiki page
> (https://wiki.kubuntu.org/SwitchingFromWindows) that has grown quite
> large and is focused only on Ubuntu.  I am proposing and have started
> working on (based on svn commits just cleaning up things and creating
> a structure) this guide.

I think this is probably not a good idea, because by the time someone
would be able to read such a document conveniently, they will have
already installed Ubuntu/Kubuntu, rendering much of the document moot.
Information like this would be very useful, but on the help wiki, not
shipped in Ubuntu/Kubuntu (which I assume is the reason for putting it
in svn).

(On the other hand, a self-contained guide would be useful if it was
likely to be distributed *in printed form* with a substantial
proportion of Ubuntu/Kubuntu installations; that would be another way
of letting people read it conveniently. But what are the odds of that?)

> One thing we talked about at the meeting was whether there would be a
> need for a speicfic guide, one for Kubuntu and one for Ubuntu or
> something we can have in the generic or commen forlder.

This may not be a helpful answer, but using bzr would make this
question much more easily answerable. :-) Ubuntu and Kubuntu branches
could be developed in parallel, merging generic improvements from each
other while retaining DE-specific differences.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/