Multimedia & ISDN pages now with release tagging

launchpad.roncero at dfgh.net launchpad.roncero at dfgh.net
Wed Jun 14 19:10:23 UTC 2006

On Jun 7, 2006, at 3:11 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

>> Corey Burger wrote:
>>
>> There are a fair number of wiki pages that only apply to one release,
>> mostly becuase they deal with a hardware issue that has been solved
>> in a later release. After Warty EOLed, I went around and cleaned up
>> reference to it from our docs. This was an annoying task, because I
>> had to go and find each page.
>
>I bet it was annoying for those whose hardware doesn't support anything
>later than Warty, too.
>
>> Therefor I would like to propose a process of tagging pages for
>> releases.
>
>Excellent idea. We last had this discussion back in February.
><https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2006-February/
>005029.html> My suggestion is the same now as it was then:
>
>    == Applies to: ==
>     * Ubuntu 5.04
>    == Does not apply to: ==
>     * Ubuntu 5.10 and later

OK, so I've applied this to two pages; the MultimediaApplications page
and the ISDN howto (perhaps we should call it IsdnNetworking instead):

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultimediaApplications

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IsdnHowto

Like its siblings OfficeApplications and GraphicsApplications, MultimediaApplications
provides an overview of the most popular and commonly used apps in
that category. I think we could now go and just link any installation or configuration pages off that.

For example, I have made a subpage for mplayer that provides more
details on the features as well as installation and configuration
instructions for Dapper.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultimediaApplications/MPlayer

The installation instructions for Breezy and earlier are different, and
so they get their own subpage

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultimediaApplications/MPlayer/Breezy

This way, the reader only sees the instructions for previous versions
when needed.

The subpages with release-specific info could be named after the last
version they apply to, with extra pages for other releases if needed.

I think this naming convention would be both simple and intuitive
(i.e. easy to find)  and a good way to stop the proliferation of pages
named  "xyz-HoaryInstallHowto" and such.

I've done something similar for the instructions that apply to Breezy
& Hoary on the ISDN page.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IsdnHowto/Breezy

Other subpages can carry info on hardware support etc. and all
parents and subpages should explicitly link to each other for clarity.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ISDNHowto/HardwareSupport

Btw, I think we should have the Kubuntu default apps where they differ
from Ubuntu, for example on the GraphicsApps page. I've got started
with that on MM.

Comments?

-- archis
http://mail.yahoo.com