New screenshots needed on the wiki

Richard Johnson nixternal at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 02:46:50 UTC 2006

On Friday 09 June 2006 21:24, Corey Burger wrote:
> On 6/9/06, Jeff Schering <jeffschering at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 6/9/06, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > > We definitely need to think about how to handle release specific
> > > information. Sometimes it can be done on the page (and we can use mpt's
> > > idea of "Applies to X, Y"), sometimes it might not be possible, in
> > > which case I think that subpages might be an idea.
> >
> > I like the "Applies to X,Y" idea too.
> >
> > The subpages idea might work too. The info for the current release can
> > be on the main page, with the "Applies to Dapper 6.06 LTS" in a
> > heading or sub-heading (in some standardised and
> > consistent-across-all-pages manner), and then links to the subpages
> > (if any)
> >
> > > But if we're making a commitment to using the version number as opposed
> > > to the codename, we should definitely stick to that.
> >
> > How often does the version number change, and how much of a pain in
> > the neck is it to go through and rename all the wiki pages that have
> > the version number in the page name?
> >
> > --
> > Jeff Schering
> > GPG: F23C67E8
>
> Lets just avoid screenshots in general. They are just maintenance
> headaches, tbh. Removing screenshots also reduces the size of the
> page, which is a good think also.
>
> Corey

If we remove/avoid screenshots in general, will that not in fact help in
showing users the easiest way for them to do something? For instance with the
Orinoco and the VMware stuff, it can all be done command line, which is what
I prefer, but I thought we wanted to show them the easy or the Synaptic way
of doing it? I am with you 99% because I am not a fan of a million
screenshots either, plus everybody does a screenshot, image conversion, and
compression differently, so they very rarely look like they were done by the
same person, let alone the same team. However, they do tend to help a newbie
in a lot of situations. That folks is what you call a brainfart, or a
braindump ;)  Just my 2 cents.

--
Rich Johnson (nixternal)
"The best thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do