Wiki pages that apply to only one release

Paul O'Malley ompaul at eircom.net
Tue Jun 6 09:50:26 UTC 2006

Corey Burger wrote:

> There are a fair number of wiki pages that only apply to one release,
> mostly becuase they deal with a hardware issue that has been solved in
> a later release. After Warty EOLed, I went around and cleaned up
> reference to it from our docs. This was an annoying task, because I
> had to go and find each page. Therefor I would like to propose a
> process of tagging pages for releases. This does raise a number of
> issues:
>
> 1. Do we tag all pages or only pages that are for a specific release?

Why not make it a function that you get tagged with current unless you
tag otherwise?

Inspired by this idea I am going to start another thread called
information life cycle. It is kind of a brain dump.

> 2. Do we use the name or the number of the release (Hoary vs 5.04) in
> the category name

Both

> 3. Do we all agree that removing docs for non-security supported
> releases is a good thing?

No, because it could be a cnc machine in a factory, and taking away its
ability to function might cost jobs

> 4. Any other issues I forgot about?

You will remember them and put them in the next mail! ;-)

> What we should get out of this is a clear policy (oh how I hate that
> word) about what we do with old releases on the wiki, etc.

It is not a clear out policy, more of a creative tagging guideline.