Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter - Issue #1

Matt Galvin matt.t.galvin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 14:00:05 UTC 2006

On 6/5/06, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Congratulations on getting this together!

Thanks!

> What do you folks think about announcing the creation of this newsletter to
> ubuntu-announce and inviting the community to subscribe to ubuntu-news?

I think this is a great idea. I think sending an email to
ubuntu-announce will certainly inform a wider audience about the
weekly newsletter.

> On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 11:38:09PM -0400, Matt Galvin wrote:
> > ==== SUN's Java ====
> > [...]
> > ==== VMware Player ====
> > [...]
>
> While I realize this is covered indirectly by the preceding section's link
> to SoftwareInstallation, I think it would be nice to include brief
> installation instructions when introducing a new package.  In these cases,
> unfortunately, it's non-trivial since multiverse needs to be enabled, but I
> think there is an existing step-by-step in the wiki for that already, which
> could be prepended, e.g.:
>
> 1. Enable multiverse, see <url>
> 2. Open Applications->Add/Remove...
> 3. Check "Show commercial applications"
> 4. Search for "vmware"
>
> I think a dose of instant gratification would benefit many readers.

Agreed. I will be sure to add this info to our template so that we
don't forget to always include brief instructions when new packages
are introduced.

> > === Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Updates ===
> >
> > Since the release of Ubuntu 6.06 there have been the following
> > updates. These updates fix bugs and translations.
>
> This list is incomplete; how did you generate it?  (in particular, pcmcia-cs
> was updated since the release, fixing an important upgrade bug)  Do you
> think it would be beneficial to automatically generate such a list and
> summarize it on a weekly basis, perhaps highlighting some bugs which were
> fixed if they are very broad in impact?

I just manually created the list based on the emails i got via the
dapper-changes list. Automatically generating a list would be great. I
would very much love to highlight the bugs fixed by the updates, i
actually wanted to do that for these but was a little short on time
this week.

> > === Edgy Planning ===
> >
> > Planning for the next release of Ubuntu, Edgy, has now begun.  We are
> > collecting ideas on the wiki page and will be converting them into specs
> > for the developers summit in Paris later this month.  Please add any ideas
> > you have.
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityEdgyIdeas
> >
> > Matt Zimmerman, our fearless CTO, has a list of Edgy ideas as well:
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MattZimmerman/EdgyIdeas
>
> This might have gone out after your deadline for this issue, but is relevant
> here and answers a couple of FAQs:
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2006-June/000144.html

ah yes, missed that one, we will include this info in the next issue.

Just so you know, I am going to try and send these out every Saturday
night (my time) so they arrive sort of like a Sunday paper type of
thing. Of course please modify or add anything you feel is needed.

Thanks,

Matt

--
Matt T. Galvin