Slight reorganisation of Ubuntu material in trunk

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 31 14:48:19 UTC 2006

Right,

Inspired by Jonathan's cry for action, I've begun to make some changes
to the ubuntu folder in trunk.

As a reminder to those who haven't read the other thread, the proposal
is to make the front page of yelp a bit more usable, while not going
over the top in the limited time we have before edgy. The idea is for
the front page to look like this:

Introduction to Ubuntu [0]
Adding, Removing and Updating Software in Ubuntu [1]
Working with your Desktop [2]
Working with a Server [3]
Getting more help [4]
Contributing to Ubuntu [5]

[0] The current aboutubuntu.xml (potentially include a Getting Started
section?)
[1] An article, based on what is currently in the desktop guide
[2] A book, what is now the desktop guide
[3] A book, what is now the server guide
[4] An article, based on what is currently in the desktop guide
[5] An article, potentially new, which includes a link to the packaging
guide.

So, I've added the following articles:

trunk/ubuntu/getting-more-help/C/getting-more-help.xml
trunk/ubuntu/add-applications/C/add-applications.xml
trunk/ubuntu/contribute/C/contribute.xml

These are all articles. The first two came straight out of the desktop
guide, and the last one is a docbook version of
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate

Jordan and Andreas can get cracking on that one :)

I would envisage that all three of these articles will not change very
much between Ubuntu and derivatives (Kubuntu, etc). Is that right,
Jonathan, others? If so, we need to figure out whether to just work on
them for Ubuntu, and then copy them for derivatives at the last minute,
or if there is some cleverer way of profiling them as we write them.

<IMPORTANT>
The creation of these articles has meant that loads of cross-reference
links are now broken (for example, each time the desktopguide says "See
add-applications", this is broken). All these links need to be fixed to
point at the right place. This should not take too long, hopefully.
</IMPORTANT>

Thoughts, questions, etc?

Matt