Promoting Books About Ubuntu

john levin john at technolalia.org
Tue Jul 25 15:51:10 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Whilst at Lug radio Live this year, I was asked by Josette of O'Reilly
Press about the best way to promote books on Ubuntu to the community.
Having given it some thought, I emailed her with a list of places worth
sending review copies to.

There are a number of important questions about commercial involvement
with third parties here, not least that there is an official book being
published under a free license by another company.

I personally feel that books are a good thing[TM] (they don't require
internet access), and that as we have listings of companies that provide
ubuntu-related services in the marketplace, we could do something
similar with particular books.

There's a books page on the wiki, about which I have some questions:
There are links to amazon USA and DE; is this on an affiliate program
(some of the links certainly aren't, but others are longer)? If not,
shouldn't there be? Can I add links to Amazon UK? Or should we link
directly to the publisher?
There's room to link to reviews on this page, but not many such links.
Have books on Ubuntu not been reviewed? Does anyone have URLS for such
items?

(Also, should we have links to the lulu hard copies of the Ubuntu
documentation? This would clog the page up if we had a seperate entry
for each title and translation).

Disclaimer: I have not received any incentive, financial or otherwise,
to investigate this. Josette did give a copy of Ubuntu Hacks, which I
gave away at the Ubuntu-UK-Users BOF at LRL. And it's quite a good book.

CC: Jane Weideman, as this concerns commercial activities.

John