5 Unique tips for Ubuntu users

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Sun Jul 2 12:05:51 UTC 2006

On Jul 2, 2006, at 10:36 PM, Andrew Price wrote:
> Or maybe it could be System -> Help which brings up help related to
> system administration, Places -> Help which brings up help related to
> file browsing and pluggable/removable media etc. and Applications ->
> Help which tells you how to run, install, remove etc. applications.
> That way makes it more context sensitive. Just an idea.

That's an interesting idea. Help works best if it's as close as
possible to the thing it's helping on -- a better example is being
embedded in the same window. But that applies only if you already know
you're in the correct window. For non-application-specific "How do
I..." problems, spreading out the help like that would aggravate the
long-standing problem of people not knowing where to find the answer to
their question.

For example, if you were migrating from Windows, where "Add/Remove
Programs" is in the Control Panel folder, you might recognize that the
Preferences submenu in Ubuntu was the thing most similar to the Control
Panel in Windows, and then might spend hundreds of seconds wandering
around Preferences -> Help trying to find out how to uninstall a
program, when the answer would actually be in Applications -> Help. Or
if you were coming from a version of Windows earlier than 2000 you
might look in Applications -> Help trying to find out how to burn a
data CD, when the answer would actually be in Places -> Help.

(Ubuntu 6.06's single Help submenu already suffers from this problem,
though not as badly. How am I supposed to know whether the answer to my
question is in "System Documentation", "Online Documentation", or
"Ubuntu Book Excerpt"? Hopefully the number of items in the Help
submenu can be reduced from five to about two, over the next couple of
development cycles.)

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/