Default root password

Duncan Lithgow duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk
Thu Jan 26 07:04:43 UTC 2006

Russ wrote:

> Well, since I had no idea what 'sudo' meant, I skipped on by it. I was
> looking for something that would tell me that root was set by default
> with such and such password. If I had been aware that Ubuntu didn't
> use root, I could have traced it out. It is a simple thing to find an
> answer when you know what you are looking for. Now that I know the
> answer, that same search nets all the answers.
>
> Someone else said it right, it should say something in the setup
> process. I actually installed this sucker twice thinking I somehow
> missed it.

Good point. I might have jumped on you for not searching too, but fiar
enough that you skipped sudo not knowing what it is - reasonable course
of action - until you didn't find the answer at least.

I just checked the 'Ubuntu FAQ Guide' (the one you get by clicking the
life-ring icon and chossing 'Ubuntu 5.10 Starter Guide' - don't ask why
the two names) and can't find mention of sudo vs. root account. The
closest I could quickly find was under 'Tips and Tricks' and was about
starting nautilus as root.

That's not very good really.

I've also sent this to the Ubuntu-doc list, maybe they can do something
about it.

Duncan