Styleguide issues

Jeff Schering jeffschering at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 04:48:50 UTC 2006

Hi all

The styleguide lives in two places right now: the wiki (at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StyleGuide) and in the docteam repos in
Docbook format.

The way it is now, the most up-to-date version of the styleguide is in
the repos and an outdated version is on the wiki. The reason that the
wiki version is outdated is because it must be updated manually
everytime the repos changes.

I think it would make more sense if the wiki version was kept as the
most up-to-date and current document, with the repos Docbook version
being periodically updated to be a snapshot of the wiki version. (We
still need the Docbook version for building html and pdf files.)

There are also licensing issues to deal with. The Docbook version of
the styleguide has been released under the dual GFDL and CC-BY-SA
license scheme, but the wiki is now (or will be) Public Domain. We
need to make sure we are not putting licensed material into the public
domain without proper permissions from the original authors of that
material. (Myself, Jerome Gotangco, and David Ottina are the only
contributers so far.) In any case, if wiki material in general is not
yet officially public domain, then I would like to put the styleguide
into the public domain anyway.

So in order to make this change, I need the following:

1. General consensus that it is a good idea to make the wiki version
the latest and greatest.
2. Confirmation from Jerome Gotangco and David Ottina that their
contributions are original and have not been repurposed or otherwise
copied from GFDL'd sources.
3. Permission from Jerome and David to use their contributions from
the repos Docbook version on the wiki and in the Public Domain.

None of Jerome's or David's styleguide contributions have appeared on
the wiki; they are only in the repos.

If anyone has any objection to 1 above, then let me know.

Jerome and David, if you could, let me know if the material you
contributed is yours and if it can be put into the Public Domain.

Cheers,
Jeff