sec=unclassified RE: The value of separating the doc wiki

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at iserv.net
Thu Feb 23 01:32:39 UTC 2006

Part of me always wonders why every time we near the end of the release we
start discussing on how we want to change everything.  Just prior to release
of Breezy we had this discussion in regards to is DOcbook the way to go, why
do we ship it this way, is the wiki to hard to understand and follow? etc,
etc, etc

I don't think the wiki is that hard to follow, and let me explain why.....

I started using Ubuntu just at the end of warty, I read about it on
slashdot, downloaded the live cd and thought this looks cool I'll give it a
shot.  I am in no means a Linux guru.  I started out on Red Hat 7 and tried
several version of Slackware.  I also at the time grabbed some books, read
and got my Linux+ certificaiton.
At this point I got involved in my real job, a Windows administrator.  I can
setup Active Directory, configure Exchange to work in a Front End/Back end
config mode, can change things in group policy to enforce the policies of a
company and many other things.  however I will be honest, I still struggle
at times with Linux.  I have had a heck of a time getting my wireless card
to work correctly, which i have done.  I run Request Tracker for helpdesk
tickets on a Ubuntu based box, and I have a pretty decent system.
Along the way everytime I had a problem I turned to two places, one being
the wiki and if I couldn't figure it out, then I used trusty google.  I have
accounts on the forums sites, but have rarely posted questions and only use
the answers when google turns up good results.

Part of thinks the wiki needs just a little better organization and not a
total restructuring on how things are created and I don't think we need to
re-create how we use Docbook to make the documents.  I started out here
creating patches and only making suggestions, now I have the release notes
and About Kubuntu guide set for Dapper.

A lot of what I have learned so far comes either from the Wiki or in the
case of Docbook, copying what someone else has done.  For those people who
have just started contribuing to the docs, did it really take that much
effort to learn Docbook?

Jonathan