The value of seperating the doc wiki

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 21 21:37:27 UTC 2006

Corey Burger <corey.burger <at> gmail.com> writes:

> So the CC met today and didn't fully understand why the doc team wants
> to seperate about the docs. Basically we need to communicate what we
> can solve by moving wikis.

Ok, I was pretty annoyed that I missed the discussion and wasn't able to try and
help communicate this too, but after a brief seething period over statements
like "the plan should be worked out completely before we start moving things
around for no apparent reason" (I have been thinking and working on this spec
with Henrik and Corey for something like 6 months), I realised, as Corey says,
that we need to make an effort to help people to get over the barriers that are
currently there.

>From a quick glance at the logs, there was plenty of discussion about the
question of specs getting in the way of documentation. This is still a valid
argument and we should defend it, but the spec is a bit overloaded with it. The
fundamentally more important part of this discussion is:

Documentation should be (a) in one place, and (b) that place should be dedicated
to documentation.

Both these things together benefit both the user and the contributor of
documentation: the user because the site is easy to find, easy to search and
easy to use; and the contributor because a more visible and coherent site of
documentation becomes a whole lot more attractive to get involved with (see the
GWOS debacle).

This is the fundamental point that needs to be got across, in my opinion.
Alongside that point go the points about sharing namespaces with specs, editor
control, and everything else we can think of.

Matt