Wiki Cleanup Proposal

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 20 12:17:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 22:32 +1100, GrAnT GaLbRaiTh wrote:

> Part of the idea behind this proposal is an acknowledgement that the
> current structure is not an effective one. Slimming it down doesn't
> solve that problem, it just makes something that's ineffective, less
> ineffective, but none the less ineffective.
>
> my $0.02 worth - if you're going to do it, do it properly. Develop a
> long term vision, tweak the larger scale proposal and gather a team to
> make it happen.

I agree in principle, however in this case I think it is worth doing
this in two stages. Given that the wiki move may get in the way, I think
that the best approach is to get the first stage (moving to sub-index
pages within the same structure as the current index) out of the way
quickly, and then work gradually to improve the categories.

It's correct that slimming down simply makes something that is
ineffective, less ineffective, but if you actually realise that the
ineffectiveness is caused by two separate problems (1. index is too deep
2. categories are problematic), then I think it's obvious that the
solutions can be approached separately too. I also think that solving
problem 1 will be a drastic improvement, while solving problem 2 is a
more gradual process, and should be addressed in that light.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com