upstream/downstream in Launchpad

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Fri Feb 3 12:24:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 11:57 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> Dear all,

Hi

> I've started preparing some pot templates for the translation of the
> Ubuntu and Kubuntu documentation, which I hope to upload to rosetta
> relatively soon, but have some questions to resolve first.
>
> The problem is due to my inability to comprehend the fine distinction
> between upstream and downstream things in Rosetta. The situation is
> currently like this:
>
> There is an ubuntu-doc project, which contains an ubuntu-doc product,
> and a couple of other specific products which relate to individual
> documents. There is also an ubuntu-docs source package in
> distros/ubuntu. Last release cycle, the translations went on in the
> distro-specific place, although one template (quicktour) was translated
> under the ubuntu-doc product.
>
> However, at the moment, it seems to be intended that bug-reporting
> happens under the ubuntu-doc upstream product. mpt said that this was
> because ubuntu-docs might be used in derivatives.
>
> We've got about 6 or 7 pot templates at the moment to be uploaded, each
> relating to different documents (some of which have their own products,
> and most of which don't). Some of this documents are ubuntu-specific,
> some are kubuntu-specific, and one will go in both.
>
> Can someone tell me where I should be requesting that these pot
> templates are uploaded? I would appreciate the help, because I'm a bit
> hopeless when it comes to this aspect of Launchpad.

Ok, this is my point of view for this problem.

Anything that it's Ubuntu/Kubuntu specific and that will be only
available from ubuntu's archive and that makes no sense to release a
tarball outside Ubuntu, import it into the source package from where the
sources come.

If your application/documentation/whatever is not Ubuntu specific and
any other project/distribution could package it independently from the
usage we do of it in Ubuntu, then, import it as a product as you can get
contributions from outside Ubuntu and you don't need to bore those other
contributors to use the Ubuntu specific tools (the UI is the same, but
the path is different).

We can move imported .pot files from the distro specific URL space to
the products URL space and the other way too so if you want to fix
anything previously imported, just ping us at rosetta at launchpad.net to
fix it.

> Thanks very much,

I hope this explanation helped you to understand a bit more my point of
view. We don't have a hard policy, but I think this suggestion is the
less confusing for Ubuntu contributors or other external ones.

Cheers

--
Carlos Perelló Marín
Ubuntu => http://www.ubuntu.com