serverguide

Lionel Porcheron lionel at alveonet.org
Sat Dec 30 13:45:45 UTC 2006

Le jeudi 28 décembre 2006 à 23:27 +0000, Matthew East a écrit :

> Hi there,
>
> The serverguide needs some significant changes to bring it into line
> with the structural changes to the help system we've been making.
>
> Some basic changes I'd like to make include:
>
> * Removing things which make it seem like a stand-alone guide, instead
> of a coherent part of a help system, such as the preface, introduction,
> installation, etc.
> * Restructuring so that the good stuff appears as high level structure.
> So, things like "Web server", "Email server" and so on would be top
> level sections.
>
> The question again arises of how to do this. As we discussed in relation
> to the switching from windows guide, the serverguide clearly has some
> merit as a standalone book as well as a part of an integrated help
> system. Things like "installation" which aren't relevant to an installed
> desktop system might still be of use elsewhere, because the server
> installation process is different to the regular one.
>
> So what do people think about the best way to do this? Preserve an
> original copy of the serverguide and fork a version for the desktop help
> system? Not include it in the desktop help system at all, on the grounds
> that it is not relevant to desktops (I'd be against this because I think
> people expect to find all documentation relevant to their system in the
> help centre)? Or other ideas?

Hi,

I find this is quite interesting to keep the book format (with a PDF and
print vesions available). I ofen use it (for training sessions) and give
the URL. This is a good starting point for someone who want to setup a
server (even if some work is still needed). So I would say a fork would
be the best way. However, I do not like the concept of "fork", I do not
think this would be a good thing to duplicate efforts. We can probabily
exclude the parts that are book-specific like as you said introduction,
preface, etc. I think that we have the same for desktop guide.

I really like you restructuration ideas !

Cheers,

Lionel