New to Ubuntu -> Basic Skills

Will Simpson linux.photo.geek at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 19:00:20 UTC 2006

On 12/25/06, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> * Will Simpson:
> > I propose to connecting basic-consepts.xml to newtoubuntu.xml @ Basic
> > Skills. Has this already been discussed? Currently Basic Skills is
> > pointed to the none existant file gosbasic.xml
>
> gosbasic.xml is a document which is yet to be imported - it will come
> from the Gnome User Guide.
>
> > basic-consepts.xml constains the following but like
> > partitionsandbooting.xml is not connected to a menu.
> > # 1. Directories and File Systems
> > # 2. Permissions
> > # 3. Terminals
> > # 4. Text Editing
>
> As posted in a previous thread, I've asked for much of this material to
> be integrated into the Gnome User Guide so that upstream has it and we
> can use it there. Sorry, I should have documented this intention better
> in the repo, I'll do this now.
>
> > Are there other plans for 'Basic Skills'?
> >
> > I've prepared a 'section' about log off skills but I don't know where
> > to place it. Ideas?
>
> Again, the Gnome User Guide covers this. It's best to use upstream
> material where we can.
>
> Matt

Matt, thanks for putting up with all my confusion and questions. I'm
still trying to get my mind around how I can help? Are there specific
things I can do? The last couple of things I've contributed have been
unneeded because of changes in the help package design which I didn't
know about. How do I find out about these design changes?

I'm a little gun shy about working on the a .xml file if it is not
going to be used. What I've done so far has been helpful in getting me
initiated with DocBook and the svn package management but I'm afraid
we'll move away from those also. I'm not afraid of change, I embrace
it, but I'd like a little bit of a guide or roadmap.

How do we link to the upstream help? Do we need to add <ulink> info to
the locally installed gnome help files to our files to create this
link to upstream?

What part of the help is not going to be from upstream? I can see
where it might be helpful to follow some of the upstream discussions.
For some reason I can not find irc.gnome.org in my xchat.

--
Will Simpson
http://willsimpson.org