In Need of a Tutorial

Will Simpson linux.photo.geek at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 20:29:24 UTC 2006

On 12/24/06, t u <towsonu2003 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you have a tutorial that would walk me thru how to write in the
> documentation format and provide patches like the below?
>
> I guess I didn't look hard enough, but can't find such a tutorial.
>
> thanks
>
> Will Simpson wrote:
> > Attached is a patch that fixes a few broken links with relative paths.

Here is what I know. This is how I got started.
1. Started @ http://www.mdke.org/?p=67
2. then went to -- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Repository
2a. OOPS! I didn't have subversion installed so -> sudo apt-get
install subversion
oh the joy!
3. Now for the editor - meet big stone wall.
3a. Using Quanta but had to install DocBook4.3 DTD from this obscure thread
    http://lists.kde.org/?l=quanta&m=113882783218319&w=2
3b. edit files sort of like html
4. Grabbed latest ubuntu-doc.deb @ http://doc.ubuntu.com/~matt/
5. Now you know everything I know about the internets.

ps- I too am still looking (not that hard) for a DocBook tutorial that
would be at the level needed for editing Ubuntu documentation. As soon
as I learn it we'll switch to something else.

How this helps.
--
Will Simpson
http://willsimpson.org