Screencasts - teambuilding and documentation

Ubuntu Clips ubuntuclips at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 17:28:53 UTC 2006

> On 12/21/06, Alan Pope < alan at popey.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 14:19 -0800, Ubuntu Clips wrote:

{snip}

> It would be nice to have a "core" set of screencasts that complement
> > the existing core topics in the documentation. These could be created,
> > updated, and maintained in some sort of consistent and systematic way
> > along with release cycles and the rest of the documentation.
>
> Agreed. Although the thought of re-recording them as each release comes
> out fills me with dread somewhat. Knowing how long each takes to record
> this could be a pain. Maybe only do core screencasts for LTS releases,
> and only update them, but have ad-hoc ones for the in-between-LTS
> releases?

That sounds like a good, reasonable start. We could always evaluate and
re-evaluate this as things move along and there's a sense of both the time
and resources involved and the number of people who are keen to help out.

> I think it would also be of great value to have community contributed
> > screencasts in the spirit of ubuntuclips and more generally in the
> > spirit of users helping users as with forums, wikis, etc.
> >

> Definitely. I would welcome some direction as to what exactly people
> "need". I have some idea of course, especially after answering the same
> question over and over on the support ticket system over on launchpad. I
> have already been able to answer some questions with "check this
> screencast, it explains what you want". If we could answer more like
> that I think we're on a winner. Nobody likes having to explain the same
> thing over and over, and with a screencast the end user can watch it to
> their hearts content - and of course pass it on.

We've tried to address this on ubuntuclips via the "clip wanted" area of the
site - a place where users can request videos on particular topics. More
generally, would it make any sense to get in touch with forum moderators and
long time contributors to get a sense of highly recurring questions and
topics? Or perhaps doing some sort of informal analysis of the forums
ourselves to get a sense of this? It could be a good starting point that
could be complemented by ongoing user input and requests.

Cheers,
Michael

--
ubuntuclips.org