Documenting Launchpad for Ubuntu users

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Thu Dec 21 03:40:49 UTC 2006

On Dec 21, 2006, at 6:31 AM, Jonathan Jesse wrote:

>> Matthew Revell wrote:
>>> I'm planning a thorough re-write of all the Launchpad docs and have
>>> noticed that Launchpad doesn't make much of an appearance in the
>>> Ubuntu docs. If I'm missing something, please point me in the right
>>> direction :)
>>
>> I don't think you're missing much. I included a little bit in the
>> Ubuntu Packaging Guide about bugs, but nothing significant. We had
>> intended to add a little bit to our "Contributing to Ubuntu" doc, but
>> to be honest I felt like Launchpad was too much of a moving target to
>> do very good documentation. Even with the small part about bugs in
>> the Packaging Guide I've had to update it a few times as LP changes
>> features or UI.

They're going to continue to change fairly quickly.

>> Awesome. Launchpad is indeed the most important tool we have in Ubuntu
>> from a developers point of view. In the past I've mentioned
>> documenting it and was basically told that the UI should be good
>> enough that it shouldn't need documenting.

Uh oh, that sounds like something I said. :-> I do think that, say, one
hour spent making Launchpad itself more obvious has about the same
benefit as five hours spent documenting it on a separate Web site. The
latter is easier, but the former affects 100% of users instead of just
those few who read the documentation. (I know the former isn't
practical if you can't access the code.)

>>> I think that Ubuntu specific versions of these, along with a general
>>> overview of what Launchpad is and why Ubuntu users might be
>>> interested in it, would be useful in the web-based documentation and
>>> perhaps also the in-system help.
> It would be nice to have this fit into the Topic Based Help spec if we
> can get it done for Feisty.  I suppose it would be System
> Documentation so it would fit under this spec?

I think anything mentioning Launchpad, in the help shipped with Ubuntu,
would be about one paragraph long or so. More detail would belong on
the Web site.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas